Tone Parsons

How to spend a Saturday

Oh boy! It’s the weekend!

Here’s how I spent my Saturday so far:

  • 7:52 – wake up, brew coffee
  • 8:00 – fire up the computer and prepare to move the domain and all it’s sub-domains like you promised to the new server.
  • 8:10 – begin sql dumps for sites with blogs/forums/etc.
  • 8:20 – begin pulling those sites down from the old server.
  • 8:24 – lose connection to old server.
  • 8:33 – realize that the internal NIC on the firewall gave up the ghost. Spend next 20 minutes looking for a spare. Open every computer you own to find one that is exactly the same. Finally find one in a box in the basement.
  • 8:58 – install NIC, discover that the server is pissed at life. Call for help
  • 8:59 – Friend telnets into firewall, makes a change that a 6 year old should have figured out, life is good.
  • 9:12 – log into registrar website to change the DNS entries to the new host
  • 9:13 – realize that you’ve just screwed yourself as you can no longer access the hosting tools on your own machine.
  • 9:13 – shrug your shoulders, say “fuck it” aloud, continue.
  • 9:15 – remember that you brewed coffee a while ago. Wander upstairs for a cup only to discover that other family members have already drank it.
  • 9:16 – brew more coffee
  • 9:31 – show shock and awe that the DNS has already propogated enough for you to connect to the new server and upload your files.
  • 9:48 – power goes out at the house
  • 10:25 – power is good, start process over again, do the largest websites first
  • 11:15 – fuck… there goes the power again (but only for a few seconds… just enough time to shut your pc off and make you scream). Start over again.
  • 11:20 – remember that you made more coffee a couple of hours ago. Go upstairs to find a full pot of burnt and nasty coffee. Turn it off, dump it, and give on caffeen for the day.
  • 11:25 – stare at your ftp program in disbelief that you’re only getting 8kb/s upload rates… and you’ve got about 700mb left to go.
  • 11:26 – cry… a lot
  • 2:47 – decide to purchase a gun and go talk to the power utility, becuse the damn lights just flickered again, killing your connection.
  • 4:52 – finally finish uploading files, restoring databases, and installing extra software.
  • 4:53 – beer, in large quantities.

Of course, we lost power again about an hour ago, and again my firewall got pissy with me. I had to call my friend back and he cleared things up for me (it’s “ifup eth0” not “ifconfig eth0 up”).

Tomorrow, I’m not touching anything technical.


2 Comments so far

  1. Zipper February 19th, 2006 7:56 am

    From the sounds of it you would have been better off going to work yesterday.

  2. Eve February 19th, 2006 4:23 pm

    ughh.. that totally sucks!

    If there’s something I have learned about doing stuff on the internet that has become painfully clear to me over the years, it’s that nothing ever fricken works out the way that it was supposed to!

    I swear, it’s a miracle that more of us haven’t gone postal or turned to alcohol.

    Oh.. hang on, yeah, we have, turned to alcohol I mean 🙂